I see how some people, including of my age and more or less with my lifestyle and close professions, regularly eat large amounts of food but don’t gain weight. Why? If I slacken my efforts and stop imposing restrictions, I gain two kilograms for a week. Losing them afterwards is at least two weeks of suffering. Why? How not to put on weight without being forever on a diet?
The answer of your question is one and only, but complex and thrilling many specialists at the same time for years – metabolism or more precisely said – the optimal speed of metabolism is the reason some people to process the food properly without indulging themselves. So, how to distinguish normal from slow metabolism and what to do to speed it up?
Figuratively speaking, if the vehicle is not filled with fuel, it could not be in motion: the energy required for machine motion is formed only at the expense of combusting the burning material. Something similar happens in our body as well, but the combustible material here is food. Proteins, carbohydrates and fats immediately enter into chemical reactions of metabolism, providing us with the necessary energy in response. Moreover, the complex process of metabolism is running constantly, round-the-clock, year by year during the whole life. Even if you possess slow metabolism, it does not mean that you are destined to be overweight.
One of the main determinants of metabolism is the percentage of body fat. The less fat you have, the faster your metabolism will be. Metabolism in the organism naturally slows down with age. As a result, the processes of burning fat slow down as well. The only way to counteract this is through proper nutrition and regular exercise, namely the muscular energy accelerates the overall metabolism in the organism.
The metabolic rate is significantly influenced by the hormonal balance or the functional state of the thyroid and the pancreas. It is impossible to restore the impaired metabolism with fasting and the reason for this is the lack of material for energy production. Metabolism is “programmed” so that to slow down when the calorie intake is reduced. Hunger exacerbates the impairment of metabolism. When a man has been trying out different diets and has alternated periods of deprivation with periods of random eating for years, losing weight becomes more and more difficult and the gained kilograms after a diet are more. The only way to achieve and maintain a reasonable level of weight is re-education of the nutritional habits for life. This doesn’t mean at all a constant deprivation, on the contrary – the volume of food must satiate hunger, and the composition should ensure all body needs.
Rapid metabolism or fast enough metabolism ensures the normal healthy weight. There are several basic rules that accelerate the proper utilization of nutrients for the needs of the organism:
- Try to eat often – the consumption of natural food and the well-balanced nutrition at every 3-4 hours will help cleanse the body and will speed up your metabolism. Don’t miss breakfast – the morning meal contributes to better distribution of the amount of food during the day, helps the control of appetite and stimulates metabolism.
- Get up from the table a little bit hungry – always eat slowly, whenever you have the opportunity – thus you will allow the satiety signals from the stomach to reach the brain.
- Drink water – if the “metabolic factory” lacks water due to any reason, it stops dealing with fats and the latter start to accumulate wherever possible. Don’t forget about green tea: 2-4 glasses of this drink let you burn not less than 50kcal.
- Exercise more – not for nothing our ancestors said: The movement is life! During training metabolism is speeded up with 20-30% and gradually recovers after it.
- Sleep at least 7 hours in the night – the lack of sleep stimulates the hormones that regulate appetite. The levels of ghrelin (hormone which stimulates appetite) rise, and leptin (which tells the body it is satiated) falls down.
In summary – everyone can speed up his metabolism, provided there’s no metabolic disorder or hormonal misbalance. The regulation of metabolic processes requires time and perseverance.
Unfortunately, our body doesn’t obey our vain desires, but its own and logical biological laws.