How to prevent the potential risks?
The intelligent life requires healthy nutrition, normal body weight and stable balance of the constructive and destructive processes, particularly those related to calcium – in order the breakdown of bone system to stop. Cheese and other dairy products, sesame seeds and nuts contain significant amounts of calcium. Nutrition should be balanced and variable in order to give all the necessary substances.
Here are some nutritional principles for this specific period:
- The daily calorie needs are equivalent to about 1700 to 2000kcal. They may increase a little in hard physical work. With advancing age, the daily calorie needs decline further.
- Instead of overloading with three large meals, more small intakes of food are recommended. i.e. middle courses with little food are added in the periods between the large meals.
- Prefer wholegrain products – brown bread, brown rice, fresh bran. They improve the intestinal kinetics and create a healthy satiety feeling.
- Eat fruits and vegetables every day. The less processed they are, the more vitamins and minerals they have.
- The daily need of protein is 50-70g from high quality products: yoghurt, cottage cheese, low-fat meats and fish.
- Do not consume more than 20-30% fats. as the natural, cold-pressed vegetable oils are preferred. Omega-3 fatty acids have a high health value. Caution must be paid to the hidden fats in the packed foods, salami and cheese products.
- Fruits and bee honey are good to be used as sweeteners. Avoid sugar, cakes, lemonades, etc., which bring many “empty” calories.
- Drinking at least 2 liters of liquids a day is very important, no matter thirst is felt or not. The latter is lost with age even when the body needs water.
- Coffee, black tea and alcohol consume and deplete the minerals, thus favoring the genesis of osteoporosis, so it’s good to be avoided.
- Sports and medical gymnastics, the fresh air maintain and strengthen the bone structure, the heart and circulation.
The hormonal substitutes in climacteric are prescribed by a doctor after a thorough examination of every single case. In case of liver disorders, hemostasis derangements, carcinogenesis of breast and uterus, hormone replacement therapy is not recommended. The diet remains the best and cheap option to obtain the so called phytohormones. They are found in all wholegrain cereals (wheat, barley, oats, rye, maize), legumes and nuts (beans, chickpeas, lentils, walnuts, almonds, sesame, flax). There are plenty of them also in fruits and vegetables: onion, garlic, broccoli, kale, turnips, chicory, strawberries and apples, as well as in green tea and wine.
The seeds of alfalfa, red clover and certain vegetables may be consumed sprouted – then the percentage of phytohormones in them is significantly increased.
As for soy products, you may find them in any kind – as drinks, cream, soy desserts, custards, tofu, salty cakes.
The phytohormones in the food are divided in three main groups:
- Isoflavones – found mainly in legumes: soy beans, broad beans, chickpeas, and also in sage, red clover, oats, green tea and wine (in moderate consumption – one glass a day);
- Lignans – found mainly in wholegrain seeds of cereals, as well as in oil-bearing plants (olives, sunflowers, pistachios), in legumes (lentils, peas), and some fruits too – apples, strawberries, grapefruit, oranges, and some vegetables – broccoli, kale, chicory;
- Coumestans – concentrated mainly in forage crops such as alfalfa, clover leafs and soybeans as well.
The intestinal flora should be in good condition, so phytohormones can be absorbed. In cases of chronic digestive disorders like abdominal swelling, diarrhea or constipation, it is necessary to take pre- and probiotics and to consume food rich in fibers. Cigarettes and alcohol interfere with the absorption of phytohormones.
It is believed phytohormones reduce the hot flashes, prevent osteoporosis, lower significantly the cholesterol level, protect the skin from aging, and reduce the risk of breast, uterine and colon cancer.
It is not difficult to receive phytohormones with our daily menu, using different types of food. Here’s a perfect idea for a breakfast that will give you phytohormones, calcium and omega-3 fatty acids, to start your day well.
Crumble one tablespoon linseed and six almonds in large pieces in a blender or coffee mill. Add 1Tbs. brown millet flour and stir with a pot of soy yoghurt with fruits. It is very important to crumble the linseed so its ingredients can be absorbed.